Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Bird of the Soul

Category: Soul-of-Thought Revival
Journals: The 2004 Venusian Octave (Music of the Spheres), Confessions of Her Roaring Twenties, and Blue Moon Seachange
Dates: 11-24-2004, June 2006, 6-23-2007, and 8-16-2010

11-24-2004

this is why the caged bird sings...

The symbolism of the caged bird appears in much of women's literature. And each time I encounter it in writing, my insides twist up a bit and my throat gets tight with emotional tension.

I've always felt the wings of my words like they were caged in my ribs...thumping out their message with my heartbeat as their rhythm. And this phoenix within me cannot be forced through my voice and out of my mouth, her wings are much too large. Instead she has found solace in the openness of my mind, where she can fly to the highest heights and across the boundless seas of a world that exists only in my perception. And though she was once a gypsy spirit, she has found a home with me.

And with her in mind, I can write like the wind. She knows not how to write, or speak in language discernable to ears, but she knows what she knows...and it's so much more than I have ever learned myself. Her stories, her poetry, her birdsongs...I translate them through to my fingertips. And there, in writing, lies my soul.

......................................................................................................

The torturous June of 2006

Perched

Perched like a bird on the balcony
awaiting what is difficult to bear,
she sits as if in a still life
as birds build up nests of her hair.

She projects confidence through stoic seclusion,
which means little to nothing at all.
Preened feathers show nothing of the fear
that built up and will break down her wall.

Balcony Bird

Wash me up on the shores of thought
Stop the time I never forgot
Find my soul in a quiet world
Live a life of love unfurled
Drown all pain by an act of God
Fly this bird through skies abroad
Lift me up from the fall of grace
Take the time to grow from this place
Soothe my soul with the breath of peace
Have a life before it should cease
Face all pain with the strength to stay
Watch this bird as she floats away

............................................................

6-23-2007

~Dejavu~

She becomes her thoughts unravelled,
oldest soul through bodies travelled.
in a cage where ribs are bars,
in a mind aligned with stars,
with the wings of voice and reason,
ever evolving like the seasons.
She unmasks the truth of being
through the writer, always seeing.

............................................................

2010

Soul Bird

Tiny dinosaurs,
feathered and singing,
flit from branch to feeder
and fly away.
The one within
calls out to them,
but they cannot hear
her song.
I write the words
for her freedom.
I clear my head
for her flight.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're here, as are many people. You enrich our lives in ways we cannot always describe.

    ReplyDelete